Sunday, August 19, 2012

A tablet I can actually use!

    A couple of years ago, when Apple released the iPad 2, I bought one.   At the time, I had an original iPad that I'd bought second hand.  I needed it for work, since I support primarily apple products in a company that uses Macs for all of their workstations, over 400 of them at present.   Executives there all have ipads, as do many of the employees.  The company still, even today, won't provide I.T. with one, so I spent my own money on it.

    I used the iPad 2 for a few months, but ultimately sold it and bought a eeePC netbook.  At home, I'd switched from Mac to Linux, and the netbook was FAR more useful than the iPad.  Also, I grew tired of having to restart the iPad every couple of weeks due to it acting up in some strange way.  (sidebar, Apples iOS devices are built on top of the HFS+ filesystem, which is very broken and corrupts files regularly.)

   I was very happy with the netbook, excepting for portability.  A slim tablet is just more convenient to slip into a bag, or carry with you to a coffee shop, diner, or to travel with.   I still wanted a tablet for that convenience, but being a tinkerer and linux user, I have to have openness and reliability.

    All of those facts in line, I was very happy to see Google release the Nexus 7, and snapped one up.  It fits the bill PERFECTLY!   It's smaller seven inch size is ideal.  Convenient to carry, easy on the wrists for long reading or gameplay periods.  Googles android in it's native form, not hobbled by some carrier or companies crapware piled on top of it.  Quad core CPU in the nVidea tegra three chip is really fast, and the one gig of RAM gives the OS plenty of room for speedy app switching.

    This weekend I took it traveling and found it to be excellent and useful on the road.  We were going deep into a state park forest for some fishing, far from cell service and full of twisty little roads.  A new feature of google maps in the latest android, is offline maps.  You can download areas of the maps to the device ahead of time.  This, along with the built in GPS proved very useful while finding our way through the park.

    Back at the hotel, on the provided wifi, it made quick work of the usual fair.  Checking email, posting some trip pics to facebook, catching up on the news, finding interesting places to visit in a strange city, etc.

    The voice dictation has improved to the point of star trekishness spooky in it's accuracy and speed.  It no longer requires network access, residing completely on the device for nearly instant recognition of spoken words with very little post editing required.

   One final point...   At the $199 price, you could buy two of these and some software for the same price as a single iPad!  I give it a big thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment